Rosacea is a chronic skin condition that affects millions of Americans, generally presenting as areas of skin on the face with redness or blushing, visible blood vessels, and small, pus-filled bumps similar to acne. This common problem can affect the self-esteem and confidence of those who suffer from it. While the specific cause is unknown, environmental factors such as temperature, exposure to sun, and certain foods and medications, as well as hereditary factors are believed to play a part in triggering rosacea flare ups. There is no cure for rosacea, however, treatments are available to prevent and relieve its symptoms, helping to restore a more natural appearance and avoid the potential associated embarrassment.
Laser treatments can be extremely effective in reducing the appearance of rosacea symptoms. It is a safe procedure that uses focused beams of laser light to destroy old and damaged skin cells, while also stimulating new cell growth and the production of collagen. Dr. Victor uses the XPL laser system, a technologically advanced laser that effectively diminishes redness and improves the overall appearance of skin affected by rosacea.
- The patient is evaluated by Dr. Victor to determine the best course of treatment
- Topical anesthesia may be applied to the target area, but most patients find it to be unnecessary
- During treatment, a cooling device within the laser system circulates air gently to keep the affected area cool
- Most patients only experience mild discomfort during the procedure
- Treatment duration typically ranges between only 15 and 20 minutes, depending on the size of the target area
- Multiple treatments are often required to achieve the desired results
- Dr. Victor will also provide the patient with at home remedies as well as “need to know” information about lifestyle habits that may contribute to flare ups